All parents need help occasionally taking care of their children. And whether that's just a babysitter on date night or a full time day care, it is really important to take seriously who you are going to leave your kids with! HERE is a post we did on babysitting but here are some additional tips on how to choose the childcare that is right for you!
- Observe your child with them. Observe a day at the daycare or see how your child will interact with whoever is taking care of them! You want to feel comfortable and of course you want your child to be comfortable!
- Be aware of the child to caretaker ratio. Regulations vary on this but it's good to aware of how many adults will be there with groups of children. If your child can thrive in a group setting, it may be okay to be in more of a daycare however, they may not if you feel your child needs a lot of one-on-one interaction.
- Licensing and Certification. Be aware of how childcare places are accredited and are inspected. You want to make sure that it is a qualified, safe environment for your child.
- Training. Similar to making sure the childcare is appropriately accredited be sure the child care providers are well trained so they can keep you kids safe and happy!
- Schedules. Some childcare has more of a free play schedule while other places may have a more structured environment. How does your child thrive? Consider that in picking a program for your child.
- Allow for time to adjust. Of course you may not feel entirely comfortable right away but if you feel it's a good fit, take time for your child to adjust to the new environment.
- Understand their policies so that you know what they are offering and what you can expect.
- A specific policy to be well aware of is what happens if your child is sick or others are sick! Be careful dealing with germs!
- Communication. You want to be sure that your childcare providers will communicate with you so that you can always be aware of what's going on with your child when you're away!
- Trust your parental instincts! You're the one who knows what is best for your child. Trust that and only choose childcare that you are completely comfortable with!
There is excellent childcare available to you! Here in Utah County you can call Child Care Resources & Referral to get more information about how to find appropriate child care for you! Call them at (801) 863-8631!
Here are some other sites with more info: