Let’s be honest, when we talk about childcare we often address mothers and casually glance over fathers. Well not today. Dads, today I have some tips for you!
Here are 10 things you can do to ensure that you are involved in your children’s lives no matter what age they are.
1. Respect your children’s mother. We had to throw in mothers somehow! When children see their parents respecting each other, they are more likely to feel that they are also accepted and respected.
2. Spend time with your children. If you always seem too busy for your children, they will feel neglected no matter what you say. Set aside some much needed father -son/daughter time.
3. Earn the right to be heard. I know, I know you already had to do this with your wife! Begin talking with your kids when they are very young, and talk to them about all kinds of things. Listen to their ideas and problems no matter how silly they may seem.
4. Discipline with love. All children need guidance and discipline, not as punishment, but to set reasonable limits and help children learn from natural or logical consequences. Discipline in a calm, fair, and nonviolent manner. Your child may be mad at first, but eventually they will understand that you only do it because you love them.
5. Be a role model. Dad’s, you are a role model whether you realize it or not! A girl with a loving father grows up knowing that she deserves to be treated with respect. Fathers also teach sons what is important in life by demonstrating honestly, humility and responsibility.
6. Be a teacher. A father who teaches his children about right and wrong and encourages them to do their best will see his children make good choices. Be involved and use everyday examples to teach the basic lessons of life.
7. Eat together as a family. Sharing a meal together is an important part of a healthy family life. It gives children the chance to talk about what they are doing, and it is a good time for fathers to listen and give advice.
8. Read to your children. Begin reading to your children when they are very young. Instilling a love for reading is one of the best ways to ensure they will have a lifetime of personal and career growth. In this area, fathers have more influence than mothers! Yes it’s true!
9. Show affection. Children need the security that comes from knowing they are wanted, accepted, and loved by their family. Showing affection every day is the best way to let your children know that you love them. No one can give a hug like dad can!
10. Realize that a father’s job is never done. Even after children are grown and leave the home, they will still look to you, their father, for wisdom and advice. Fatherhood lasts a lifetime.
Dad, you rock!