Ways to Care for Your Baby's Teeth:
- Don't put your baby to bed with a bottle with juice or milk, only water.
- Wipe gums with a damp wash cloth after they eat or at least before bed.
- When first teeth appear, brush them every day with a soft toothbrush. (Don't use fluoride toothpaste until age 3.)
- After 6 months of age, talk to your doctor about a fluoride supplement if your city's water doesn't contain fluoride.
- Take your child to the dentist between age 1 & 2 (check with your dentist for his recommendation) and then every year.
Teaching a Toddler to Brush their own teeth:
- Teach your child early how to brush. Buy a small toothbrush with soft bristles.
- Make brushing fun or a game. Sing "Brush, brush, brush your teeth, keep them clean and white" to the tune Row-row-row your Boat.
- Let your child watch you brush your teeth.
- Read children's books about brushing teeth.
- Play going to the dentist with your child.
- Make a chart where your child can place a sticker every time they remember to brush their teeth. You may want to come up a reward they can earn for filling up the chart
Materials from Utah County Health Department's Welcome Baby program.