Wanting to get out and do some fun things this summer?! Well here are some FREE (or nearly free) things you can do with your kids:
1. The first stop is your local library! Not only can you borrow books and movies for free but many offer puppet shows, book clubs, and story times. The Provo City Library has many different activities for kids of all ages. Bookstores like Barnes & Noble and the BYU Bookstore also offer weekly story times.
At the Provo City Library:
Every Friday from 10-10:30am is Book Babies (ages 0-12 months); they read stories, list to songs, and do finger plays.
Tuesday, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 10:05-10:25 AND 11:05-11:25 there is Toddler Time (ages 1-2years).
Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 10:00-10:30 and 11:00-11:30 in room 117 there is Preschool Time (ages 3-5years).
There are many other activities and events that this library hosts so visit their website at www.provolibrary.com and see what they have for you!
Barnes & Noble:
Orem - Saturdays @ 1:00pm and Wednesdays @10:00am.
Sandy - Wednesdays @ 11:00am.
Murray - Wednesdays @11:00am.
BYU Bookstore offers story time (downstairs in the children’s department) on Wednesdays @11:00am.
2. The second stop on our tour is for creative and crafty kids.
Home Depot offers Kids’ Workshops on the first Saturday of every month from 9:00-11:00am.
Lowes offers Build and Grow Kids’ Clinics see www.lowesbuildandgrow.com for their schedule (times are different each week).
3. The third stop on our tour of free activities and events is at your local art museums. Not only can kids look at art but many offer activities for kids to do to practice their own art skills.
Springville Museum of Art is hosting a Children’s Art Festival on June 8th from 10:00am-2:00pm. There will be many different types of art activities for children to explore (printmaking, sand painting, etc.). Check out their schedule of events at www.smofa.org
4. If your kid loves science check out the Eyring Science Center Planetarium on BYU campus ($2) planetarium.byu.edu as well as their Life Science Museum (free) mlbean.byu.edu
5. Want to do something outside?
Visit North Park and stop by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers Museum OR the Sons of Utah Pioneers Village while you’re at it.
Another popular outdoor activity is Geocaching. This is a free treasure hunting game. There are lots of caches hidden throughout the Salt Lake area. Just remember that if you choose to remove a “treasure” to replace it with another item for the next treasure hunter to find. Visit www.geocaching.com for more information.
Provo City Center www.provo.org:
On Saturday, June 2nd you can head out to Utah Lake State Park for the Utah Lake Festival. There will be free food, games, and activities between 10am and 2pm!
On Tuesday, July 24 head out to North Park (500 N. 500 W) for a Pioneer Day Extravaganza! There will be games, food, crafts, music, antique car show, a homemade pie contest, and much more! If you dress in your best pioneer outfit you may win a prize.